Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Initiation into the club.

So I totally feel like I have been hazed into the fraternity of motherhood. Lately our sweet little Lilly has been spitting up in massive quantities. This resembles vomit, but is not which i have to clarify regularly to myself as I do my patients. I can now empathize with why they think it is vomit. What it is, however, is voluminous nasty spit up. This nasty habit has created some ritualistic feeding patterns on my part. I am always hesitant to feed her more after she has finished on one side because on more than one occasion this has produced a mess all over me, the boppy, her, her hair, the blankets etc. I still feed her, because you have to, but I am just holding my breath. This morning we were doing our routine. I feed her, burp her, she spits up, this time only a little, I feed her a little more, she burps, she spits up, then I hold her in the upright position trying no to irritate the reflux monster. After I held her for about 15 minutes I laid her on the bed so I could use the bathroom and brush my teeth. About the time I started brushing my teeth I heard her start to hiccup. A regular occurrence. So I go about my business keeping an eye on her. All of the sudden it happens. Massive eruption. She spit up all over the waterproof pad she was on, off the pad to the bed, she was laying in a puddle of spit up. It was in her hair... pretty much everywhere. Luckily after the previous spit ups of the day I had not put more clothes on her so we did not shed another outfit... just the sheets. so I get a towel, remove her from her puddle and realize that she has pooped and it was coming out her diaper. To the bath I thought. So we go to the whale tub and all is well, we get clean, wash all the milk off, and I take her out. As soon as I get her out of the tub and on my lap... she pees on me. REALLY? Are you serious. I mean it could not have been better planned. So I thought to myself as I started my first of 3 loads of laundry created since 6am this morning... so this is what it is really like! Too bad mom left before the real laundry began. I don't think our sheets have been changed twice in one week EVER. With this episode I welcomed myself to the club!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cracked up reading this...but it is soooo true! We do welcome you to the club...congrats! I hope you all are adjusting well and loving that beautiful little Lilly!

Sara W said...

I am hee-hawing! this is hysterical!!!

Byerly said...

Oh my goodness - you really have been initiated! Chesson had terrible reflux. He wore a bib for that first 5 months of his life
;o) Congrats on your sweet girl - She is BEAUTIFUL!!!