Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Our first road trip

This past weekend we loaded up half our house and headed to Nashville for Blake's 10 year MBA high school reunion. This trip made me anxious for several reasons the least of which was I was going to meet most of his friends for the first time three weeks after giving birth and I had nothing to wear. Lucky for me I am an astute TJ Maxx shopper. Additionally, I was a little nervous about driving 3 hours in the car and leaving her for an extended amount of time for the first time. A couple of days before we had given her her first bottle. Blake did the honors, and it was weird to see her getting her nutrition from someone else! She did pretty good. We will continue to practice in preparation for the dreaded start of residency.
Here is Lillian's first bottle. As and aside...note the massive mountain of laundry beside the couch... such is my life!
On the way down she was such a trooper. We stopped once for her to eat, but otherwise she was pretty content and took the car rides in stride. When we arrived in Nashville, Grammy had set up her crib (blake's old crib) in Blake's room and had it decorated with a bumper and cute striped sheet. She also had a basket of all kinds of baby care items which would have helped me eliminate about 1/3 of my load. I literally packed the entire house. Blake asked how we would fit everything in the car when we had to be gone a week. i told him that we would take the same amount just do laundry! Nonetheless I am happy to know on future trips I will not need to pack everything she owns.
This is my first nap in my "Grammy's house bed" The blanket is so soft and we love the polka dots!
Blake and I had a great time at the reunion, and there was no shortage of babysitters. We actually forgot something and had to go back to the house about 5 minutes after we left and three people were changing her diaper... now that's some teamwork.
Here we are getting ready for the reunion. I have always wanted a red dress!These are our good friends Erik and Michelle Milam. They were married the day before Lilly was born, and we were sad to miss it, though we got a good deal out of staying home!
She was carted around everywhere and even managed to watch Grammy and Kera finish the Nashville half marathon in 85 degree heat along with about 100,000 (not exaggerated) people.
Grammy and Aunt Kera did great in their race. Had I been a little more organized Lilly would have made some t-shirts to commemorate the event. Maybe next time!
Sunday we attended Grammy's church and showed her off, and then had lunch with Nonnie and Pops. I am learning how to feed her in a variety of interesting situations, and each day I learn to adjust to life with a 1 month old a little more.

Ready for church. This was the dress I wore in one of my aunts wedding. It has been very fun dressing her in the dresses that I remember from childhood pictures!

Popaw takes good care of Lilly... He has never moved so fast to come after her when the opportunity arises... I think she has plenty of love!Nonnie has her hands full. Check out Lilly's polo outfit! She is styling already.

No comments: